Friday, December 12, 2008

Chili Night

Thursday night was cross country team chili night.  Upon arriving at Utah I started a tradition of thanking my xc team by inviting them to my home and making chili and cornbread for them. Last year we added a team trivia game for entertainment and it has become a permanent addition to the festivities as well.  

New this year was the location.  One of our assistant athletic directors and our current team adminstrator, Zach Lassiter, offered the home of his relatives who live here in Salt Lake as the host site for our dinner.  This house offered a lot more space and nicer amenities than my condo!!!  It was great to have the whole team be able to sit around one table to eat for the first time at this event.  Everyone had a nice couch or chair to sit on for the game as well.  That was not the case at my condo :)  

The only unfortunate thing about this year's event was that not all of the team members could attend due to night class or illness.  The cross country season being extended by Alyssa Abbott's first appearance at the NCAA championships was obviously a good thing.  However, it pushed this dinner back a couple weeks and put us right up against finals week.  Tonight was the best night for the most people so we had to go with it.  Don't worry...I brought take home bowls for those who couldn't make it.   So everyone got some home made, Grandma's recipe chili.  

Finally....I have to thank my Grandma Knoll for the recipe.  Besides the athletes absolutely loving it,  I took some of the leftovers to the athletic offices today and everyone who had a bowl either had seconds or asked for the recipe.  If you like chili then Utah is your school, ha ha!  


No comments: