Saturday, November 21, 2009

Chili Night




I hosted the annual post xc season Chili Dinner this past Thursday night. My dabble into the cooking world for bachelor's has included learning my grandma's chili recipe. I make enough for the whole team and serve it with cornbread as a way for our team to come together and put closure on the season that has just completed. Unfortunately, we had the dinner a littler earlier this year because we didn't get anyone to the NCAA Championship meet. However, that is the only negative as the chili was excellent again (thanks grandman), the team trivia game was hilarious, we had a chance to discuss the season in a meaningful way, we got to say 'goodbye' to our volunteer coach (Carol Eckerly), and finally...it was a chance to come together as a family in a great social environment.

This is another chance for me to say thanks to all of our women for their efforts and growth throughout the season. I think we all learned a lot about each other and what a privilege it is to run at this level and for this program. I know this group will continue to improve by leaps and bounds because they are all so committed to each other and the sport.

A special thanks to Carol. Her parting shot to the team was a message that spoke to the very heart of being on a team, trusting each other and the coaches, and following your dreams. it was one of the best messages I've read from any of the runners or coaches I've been associated with. We wish her the best as she moves on.

No comments: