Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Firman Invite

This past weekend we competed in Boise, ID at the Bob Firman Invitational. The individual results were really mixed. I thought we had a few gals run their best races of the year, but we definitely had others who struggled. It was a long tough week of practice and I think one our recovery runs was harder than it needed to be. That can't happen with a group as young as ours. They are not strong enough yet to run too hard on a recovery day. I have addressed that issue and adjusted the training this week to allow for an extra day of rest.

The best thing about a little adversity is that it provides a chance to learn and move forward...for everyone including me. I asked a little too much of my young team and now I have to understand those limits and adjust a few things so that we can improve and prepare for our championship meet run in late October and November. Coaching this group has been a lot of fun because you see them help each other. You see them cheer for each other. You see the freshmen rely on the veterans for knowledge. We just need more time to grow and gain some experience and we'll end up where we want to be.

Our next meet is in 12 days at the University of Nevada-Reno.

No comments: