Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Season is Underway




Finally...we opened the race schedule on Saturday morning at Utah State. Overall, I was pleased with the effort. With such a young team I knew we might not score as well as we would have liked. However, we will close the gap on USU and Weber as the season progresses. They both beat us at this meet a year ago, but at the Regional meet in November we peaked and ran by them. The only thing I care about in September is that we give a great effort and learn how to run smart. We took some good steps in that direction with this meet.

The only negative is that we were too conservative in the first mile. I will take the blame for that because I warned our eight newcomers about not charging out like high schoolers typically do and to be patient. They followed my instructions, but it put us too far back after the first mile and we just ran out of race as I thought most of our gals finished well. We will address this in practice the next two weeks and start doing some more race specific training before we go to Montana State.

Our top two runners, freshmen Jenny McCune (11th) and Amanda Mergaert (13th) ran within five seconds of last years winning time put up by our own Chelsea DiGrazia. So it was a fast race and the weather was ideal.

No comments: