Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Calm Before the Storm

With about 40 hours before the Mountain West Conference championships all the work has been done. I feel confident that my young team will perform at a very high level. If they do that then the end result will take care of itself. Like everyone we have one gal fighting the flu and a few others dealing with the usual aches and pains that come with our sport. However, everyone is in good spirits and anxious to race in a championship meet that is only 45 minutes from our campus.

I have to admit that I have always preferred being on the athletes side of these meets. I knew that I had complete control of the situation and because I prepared the same every time I knew what I could expect from myself physically and mentally. As a coach you have to constantly battle being a great provider of knowledge vs giving too much information that overwhelms your team...especially one as young as we are. My two great assistants have really done an outstanding job with our team in this area. Maybe that's why I'm not as anxious or nervous as I have been in the past. Our group knows what they need to know. They just need to focus on staying in the moment, giving a great effort, and running for each other. I know they will!

No comments: